Happy Tuesday to everyone. I’m going to continue with showing the progress of the 3D model of the Proton Pack I’m building. I forgot to mention in the last post that all of the modeling is being done in Softimage. I could have done it in Maya or Max but I honestly just find the modeling tools (and interface) in Softimage far nicer. I won’t mention about it being discontinued this year…
The power cell was handy enough. Basically just a box with a bit of detailing and two cylinders sticking out the bottom. Again, the booster was pretty handy as well. The booster bracket (the bit in front of the tube) was fun to model – added a bit to the polycount but fun none the less. I don’t know why but the little curved edge (where a cylinder would sit) near the base on the right really broke my brain for 20 minutes or so. Ended up redoing it. Such a silly thing to get hung up on.
The ion arm was next and this was where I really started to enjoy myself. The minutiae of detail that the GB fans put into these replica packs is mind-boggling. The Dale PH25 Resistor (which is a real resistor) caused me to make a very confused face for a good half hour. All these little details were great to get stuck into, as how they worked and how they fit into the pack really got the ol’ grey matter going. Once we start adding wires and cables down the line it’ll really start to come to life.
That’s it for now. Another post or two and that’ll be that.
So I have a moleskin that I use for pretty much everything: show and story ideas, game design, game ideas, sketching, notes on rules for tabletop games, scheduling for projects etc. In this notebook I also have a page where I’ve jotted down ideas for various projects I could do in 3D (I also track some things on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/emmetation/3d-modeling-ideas-tutorials/)
One of said ideas is a Proton Pack from the movie Ghostbusters. Hence the video above. The proton pack looks like this
GB1 Proton Pack
I set out to model a Proton Pack in 3D. Ghostbusters is tied with Back to the Future and The Lion King for my favourite movie of all time, so I’d be damned if I was going to half ass it.
The first step (as with basically all 3D models) was research and reference. I jumped on to Google and got to work. I found a heap of great reference from the film itself but the biggest help was the replica prop community. These guys know their stuff, and there is an enormous Ghostbusters fan base. Here’s a few of the most beneficial links:
I basically followed the blueprints from GB Fans first, as it gave a front, side, and sometimes top view of all the elements. Here are the first few items modeled:
That’s it for now. The next few blog posts will follow the rest of the process.
This is the first of what I hope to be many posts on the new blog/website. My old blog had been on life support for about 3 years so I decided to do the humane thing and put it out of its misery. Considering how long it had been since I had updated it, I’ll probably carry over very little but if there’s anything worth salvaging I’ll haul it over here.
There are a number of reasons I have for starting a new blog:
The old blog had been left for so long that I couldn’t bring myself to write a new post out of shame.
It was also created when I was still in college and felt immature (especially considering what a mature, upstanding grown up I am now).
WordPress is far more customisable (though confusing at times) and will serve as a portfolio website as well as a blog.
This blog will hopefully serve as inspiration to continue doing what I love. I have a terrible habit of ignoring personal projects when I get caught up in work.
That’s it really. Though the website will serve as showpiece for my professional and personal work, I’m hoping to be a bit freer with the blog and plan to include elements of game design and game theory, board games, and general nerd culture.